Sunday, March 2, 2008

SUNDAY NAPS OF LONG AGO


Sundays are definitely a favorite nap day for our family. We get excited for our Sunday slumber. There is nothing better after a three hour church block than to indulge ourselves into a huge pot roast, sometimes turkey, and if the boys are lucky, a tasty steak dinner. Our stomachs are now stuffed to the brink of feeling sick. Our heads are bobbing back and forth and our bodies are yearning for warm blankets. It is power nap time. There has to be a Sunday alarm clock in our heads saying, "It is time for a nap. I really need a nap. I am sooooo tired. I am having a nap!!!!!"

For many many years we all would enjoy this Sunday ritual. We would all look forward to our special nap time. I am not talking a twenty minute power nap. I mean a long peaceful slumber. It's the kind of nap when you have to wipe the slobber off your pillow once it is over. It's the kind where you feel light headed for about an hour or so once your nap is over. The kind of nap when you wake up and you don't remember what day it is. Those are some good zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's.

Princess Keeli joined our family and we no longer enjoy those naps of long ago. Keeli has her own time clock and her clock is the boss of everyone. Her nap time is not the same nap time as ours. Her sleepy time is church time. I can see why she would choose that time. Sometimes that is my sleepy time too. However, after church is by far my favorite.

We were all enjoying our Sunday dinner today anticipating, hoping, even praying that we would be lucky enough to catch a nap. It is not going to happen. Keeli wants to play. We play blocks, we read books, and we sing and dance to the Wiggles. My favorite wiggle song is "Wake up Jeff." I am so jealous of Jeff right now. I am wondering at this point, "Where is my nap partner, Randy." I look over at the kitchen table and there Randy is fast asleep. Who falls asleep sitting up at the table? I am laughing out loud. Wow! Our lives have changed. We love this change. Keeli has definitely rocked our world. But this change we will happily take and forever enjoy. So for now, we will just have to remember those Sunday naps of long ago.

5 comments:

Trish said...

At the count of 3 say, "Wake up Randy." Ready, 1-2-3, WAKE UP RANDY!! So pathetic that I know the Wiggles lingo. I once knew a guy that said, "you can sleep when you're dead." Who was that? Oh yeah, Randy Woodward.

Brooke said...

yes, i take literally the charge of sunday being a day of REST.

Brooke said...

also, you saw me at church today-- i don't think i ever really even woke up this morning.

it was worse than just a bad hair day.

Jane Anne said...

Not to make you jealous or anything but yesterday after our dinner all four of us fell asleep in the familyroom. The boys on the couch and the girls suggled by the fireplace. It was quite spontanious, but wonderful!

Mom, Grandma said...

Jana,

Wait until you really get old and see the comments that come your way.