Tuesday, April 1, 2008

CARB ADDICT


Addiction: CARBOHYDRATES - Not the good carbs, the bad ones!!! The kind that taste soooo good you can't have just one. The kind where you eat one mini-size candy bar and within a matter of minutes there are ten empty candy wrappers wadded up in my pocket. The kind where one Oreo cookie is not satisfying enough. I need the whole row. It is time for an intervention.

My mind is made up that April 1st is the day in which I say "good-bye to Carbs." I know that this day is fast approaching. I made a conscious decision to carb-overload my last few days of March. I started my binge on Friday when I made the boys chocolate chip cookies. One of my favorite things to do when baking cookies is to get my very own spoon and enjoy the dough! It was last Friday evening and the weather was still cold outside. A perfect time for home-made chicken noodle soup. Definitely, a lovely comfort food to enjoy during the winter months. A friend introduced me to home-made mashed potatoes that you put in your bowl. Next you add the soup. Oh, I forgot to mention the rolls that are dipped into the soup. YUM!!!!

The carb guilt hit me Saturday morning. It also helped that a friend of mine was competing in a fitness competition. I spent three hours watching perfect muscular bodies walk the cat-walk. These people are amazing!!! They must not have a love of carbs. Either that, or they've learned to control their cravings. It is beyond my comprehension how they can make their bodies look so good. This was just what I needed to get motivated to kick my carb habit.
Sunday arrives and I enjoy some pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls and a few reeses peanut butter cups. My sister, Lisa, invites the whole family up to her house for family night. I enjoy strawberry shortcake and Lisa's famous home-made Oreo cookies. I feel no guilt because I know Tuesday is fast approaching and I soon will be carb-free!
It is now Monday and there is no school today. We load the kids and head to Iggy's for lunch. We enjoy two or three loaves of bread dipped in their yummy sauce. I thoroughly devour my Iggy's french fries dipped in fry sauce. After munching on a plateful of fries it is now time for a juicy, California Chicken Burger. I don't even want to know how many calories I just put into my body.
Today is April 1st. The day I hoped would never come. I am moody, sleepy, shaky, and a little sad. I know that I am going through de-tox. It is not pleasant. I am now hallucinating carbs!
How long is this going to take? If anyone has any good hints of how to curb my chocolate cravings I would love any input. This has to be the longest day ever. It is eight p.m. and I am ready for bed. I am now going to bed to dream of chocolate cake, loaded with ice cream and topped with hot fudge. I know I have a sickness!



8 comments:

Jane Anne said...

I hear you just have to make it through the hardest first days, maybe a week?! I wouldn't know... I've never had the self discipline to try. But let me know how it goes and if you're successful, maybe I'll try too........maybe.....

Trish said...

I was wondering what was wrong with you! just kidding.....Call me when the detox is over. Good Luck!

Jana said...

My suggestion is to stop talking and posting about junk food and maybe you'll think about it less. BTW, will you warn me next time you decide to detox. I little heads up would be nice. Maybe the boys and I can take a little retrieve far away for a few days while you adjust! Thanks babe. You're the greatest!!! Randy

Marie said...

I've tried to cut out the junk food too many times to count and I never can stick with it. Double stuffed oreos are WAY too good to give up.

Brooke said...

i'm sorry you're in detox! but good for you. just think how great you'll look in a bathing suit when i meet you at your pool for a playdate!

Linda said...

Try the "tapping method" from "I Can Make You Lose Weight" which is the newest TLC program that I am addicted to!!! :) You know me...I'm as much an addict as you are and always need ideas for getting control. If only I could eat just 2 or 3...but for some reason, after the first one, my brain switches and I seem to think it is okay to eat the ENTIRE bag/box!!! By the way, just reading your blog about chocolate chip cookies about sent me over the edge....I want a spoonful (or 2 or 3). (Sorry Randy....I know I am not helping much!) Good luck Jana!

Mom, Grandma said...

Go to Sundance with the rest of the addicts, and they will give you low doses of chocolate intravenously, therapy about why you crave chocolate, ten mile hikes to make you too tired to crave anything but a hot tub---Then you plunk down ten grand and come home and head for the candy drawer.

Grandma Woodward said...

OK, I'm going to give this a try since I don't want to be cut off your blog. I love reading it and seeing pictures of your family. Just to catch up, I love the socks story as I have laughed about Justin leaving his socks wherever he took them off for years. Only seeing is believing in regard to Austin and his paintballs in his room. He is one to be remembered. Little Keeli's smile and big eyes warm my heart and make me want to hold, hug, and snuggle her. Try to keep her little till we can see her again. Jana, you don't need to lose an ounce. You are adorable just the way you are. Randy, who would have known you would be such an attentive father. (I knew). I love you all. Jana, keep up the blogging. I look for something new every day.
Love Mom/Grandma