Friday, February 22, 2008

PLEASE NOT THE BIG 40!!!!


It is with sorrow that I say that in mere short months I will be a new member of the 40 club. Should I feel excitement? It is a club that is becoming quite popular with my peers. A smile and a little chuckle would cross my face when it was time for my friends to celebrate, or FACE their big day. I made fun of my old husband when it was his turn to join. I never thought that my turn would come so fast. I so loved the thirty years. A strike is in the works. No birthdays after 35!!! Unfortunately this is a strike that I know is not winnable.

So I am preparing myself to join this club with dignity. I am following my wonderful sister-in-law's example and am bound and determined that I will finish a mini-triathalon before the big day. Am I ready to put on the swimsuit, biking shorts and running shoes? No, I don't think so. You see, I don't have much of an affection to the gym. I would much rather drink my Sonic Diet Coke along with a few, or maybe more than a few, M&M's.

Accountability is the reason I write this post. Self motivation is not my forte. In fact, it seems that I am the queen of a good excuse. My back hurts, can't go the gym! presidency meeting, no gym today. Tricia had a baby. I think I will take maternity leave with her. alas; NO GYM!!!!! In the back of my mind I hear the phrase "excuses are for losers." I don't want to be a loser. It is time to take back control. It also helps that spring is fast approaching. No more big, bulky, down coats. Nor more ugg boots and sweat pants to hide behind.

Let this be a written invitation (Tricia that is you) and any one else that is interested. I know that there are many of you out there that are fast approaching their big "40". Come feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Let's do a triathalon together. If you are not turning forty in the near future, lucky you, you still can do it. It is just a goal that you will accomplish must sooner. If you are more experienced and over the 40 mark come show us how it is done!!!! NO MORE EXCUSES THE TIME IS NOW!!!!!

8 comments:

Trish said...

For the record I am not even near the big 4-0! I don't know how to swim in a straight line...imagine a pinball machine. My bum is so big right now the bike seat might get lost. Every time I go up my stairs my heart hurts, imagine running! I will think very seriously about the invite. But, I know you can do it, and I will be your biggest cheerleader!

Trish said...

P.S. - see that first girl in your picture. I think she changed her mind mid-jump. That would be me!

Brooke said...

we are so on!

Brooke said...

wait, am i really going to do this? YOU ARE... but am i???

Jana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jana said...

Coach Brooke,

Who else is going to teach us how to swim, run and bike? We definitely need and want you!!!!! YES YOU ARE.

Marie said...

Jana you have given me the motivation to start exercising again. I think about it every day (several times a day) but I always think of an excuse!! I'm not sure I dare do a triathalon though - but you go girl!! :)

Lindi said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to do one! I wish I was there so we could train together!