Wednesday, May 14, 2008

GRAVY WOES


Don't we all love a clean kitchen? I sure do. I am a bit obsessive about a clean kitchen.  As soon as I make a meal all the dishes have to be cleaned and loaded in the dishwasher before eating. When  it is time for bed the kitchen has to be clean. Waking up to a dirty kitchen makes me very moody. It is now a joke that you better not leave your plate or drink unattended or it will be discarded. My cute niece, Olivia, asked her mom why Aunt Jana always throws her drinks away before she is finished.  I don't know why I have this disorder. I just do.

One of our favorite meals is Costco Rotisserie Chicken, Homemade Mashed Potatoes and Randy's famous gravy.  This gravy is made with love.  We are all dishing up our food anxious to enjoy our dinner. My eyes dart to the sink and I see dirty dishes. I cannot eat until those dishes are cleaned. Hurriedly, I start scrubbing pans. I really did not notice that a sauce pan was full of Randy's famous gravy. I honestly thought the sauce pan was soaking in dirty gravy water. Yes, the whole pan of gravy went down the disposal. I walked over to my plate looking for the gravy. Panic hits. Please tell me I did not throw all the gravy away! I was a bit nervous to let my family know that I had just thrown away the whole pan of gravy. The boys chuckled and thought their mom was losing it. Randy decided it would be best to remain silent. I tried to justify my stupidity while  Randy still  remained silent. Luckily, Randy was nice enough to make us another batch of his beloved gravy.

I am a bit compulsive in the kitchen. I am working on it. Well, not really. Tonight I threw away my brother-in-law's half-eaten dessert. To my defense, I thought he was finished. I now have to leave this post because it is time to clean the kitchen before I retire to bed. 

5 comments:

Mom, Grandma said...

Jana,
I am just reading the blogs and want to first thank you for the Shout Out on Mothers Day. Trish is right, you did score! I already talked to you on the phone and told you it was awesome.

Now for the gravy. That is something you do at my age and think "another senior moment." Props to Rand for not losing it and just making more gravy. Afer all he is the gravy king.

Trish said...

I am scared to leave the table at your house. You are very fast! I would love to have been a little bug inside Randy's head when he realized his hard work was gone.

Jane Anne said...

I didn't really know that about you Jana!! This made me laugh out loud. I'm quite impressed with Randy's restraint.

I wish my family had at least some of that feeling to clean up!!!

Marie said...

Yum...that sounds so good. And that's hilarious about you having to clean up all the time! Thanks for making me laugh. :)

jlarson750 said...

Hi,
I have to chuckle, I came across your blog because I was looking for a picture of gravy to post in my blog. Your story about tossing the gravy is great and I want to let you know that you are not alone when it comes to your kitchen cleaning obsession. I like to call it "cleaning as you go" and what can you do, sometimes there is a causality. Gravy, unfinished dessert...nothing is safe. The rule in my house, don't walk away from it if you’re not finished. Thanks for the laugh, I am just getting into blogging, check out http://belikebetty.blogspot.com if you want, it's not nearly as nice as yours!