Sunday, September 14, 2008

POLITICS ANYONE?


I had no idea how addicted I was to all the political shows until they were taken away from me. We went up to our friend's cabin over Labor Day Weekend. It did not occur to me that we were in the mountains and there was no cable. "What? No Hardball? No O-Reilly? No Hannity?" How could I go for five days with no information about the presidential race? I was a little sad. O-kay, not too sad that I missed Obama's grand speech at the DNC. I was more sad that I missed the pundit's reaction to Obama's speech. I would have to suck it up and just settle for the local news to get my fix. I asked my friend, Angie, if I could go watch the news to get my daily political briefing. She looked at me and replied, "We don't have T.V." I commented, "I know I just want channel two, four or five to get the local news." "We don't have two, four or five. We don't have any T.V." she exclaimed.
How was I supposed to know how Chris Matthews felt about Obama's speech? Oh silly me, I don't have to wonder. I know how he felt. I am sure he got chills down his leg. What about O-Reilly; he is fair and balanced, or Glen Beck? I went to bed a little lonely without these men telling me their opinions. Oh wait, I forgot these are not opinion shows. LOL
It was a rough and long night, but I made it through. The big day had arrived. Who was McCain going to choose as his running mate? Lucky for me, Angie had XM radio in her car. It is not as good as seeing it but at least I can hear the latest political buzz. "Sarah Palin", Who is she? Where is she from? Why did he pick her? I had so many questions. I really needed my shows to let me know about this new V.P. pick. I was a bit perplexed over this pick. No Romney? Is she capable of becoming President if needs be. I made it through the weekend with no political buzz. I am back to my political forums every night. I have come to like Sarah Palin. I am confused about Obama. I still don't understand why he won't put his hand on his chest during the Pledge of Allegiance. I wonder why he states he is Catholic but when he took the oath for office as Senator he put his hand on the Koran. He took the American Flag off of his airlplane and put a picture of himself. I am confused why half the country wants this man to become President. I understand that our country and world are having problems and a change in leadership is needed. But, are we that desperate for change that we will accept any type of change or anybody that says he stands for change regardless of their lack of experience and being unproven? I am not claiming to be a political analyst, but these are simple questions that need some explanation.
So, for the next couple of months we are on a political roller coaster. I have found through my nightly news shows that if you are an Obama fan, MSNBC is the station for you. They love the man! If you are a McCain fan, Fox is it. If you are on the fence, CNN is the station that has the most balanced coverage. It took some time to warm up to McCain but he will be getting my vote.

5 comments:

Trish said...

Wow...look at you. So many opinions on so many things. Way to put it all out there. I can't wait to see Jeff's comments! I'm glad I don't need to watch all those stations, I have you giving me updates all day. I am still pondering the election. Sadly, no one has me standing on my feet cheering for change.

Jeff said...

Trish, wait no longer!

First off, a couple of rumor-debunks - Obama didn't take the oath of office on the Koran, he took it on the Bible. And he's a Protestant.

I was actually driving to DC the day McCain announced Palin as his running mate... Danielle and I spent a good twenty minutes futzing with the radio trying to find some station that was discussing the VP pick. We finally found NPR around Quantico... we just couldn't wait the extra hour until we got to Mom's to find out!

Which reminds me - we have XM in my car; what station(s) do(es) the political stuff?

Re: Palin - I probably would have selected Romney or Lieberman if I were in McCain's position. But Palin's plenty capable, and she's not the far-right wingnut it seemed like she was in the early going. I disagree with her on a heck of a lot, but she'd be capable if needed.

Anyway, I'll probably be voting for Obama, though there's a chance I'll throw a vote in for Barr as a protest against NC's ridiculous anti-third-party election laws if it looks hopeless for Obama here. All the candidates seem like decent, good people character-wise (I was always a little suspicious of the thin layer of sleaze around Barr, though I think that's more my perception than reality), so I'm pretty much voting based solely on issues. I've been doing the analysis over on my blog from time to time.

But yeah, I don't know if I could go even a day without my washingtonpost.com. Excuse me, E.J. Dionne beckons.

cindy said...

Jana--I love politics too! We must discuss! I am presently completely immersed in an all out war with a friend of mind who just happens to be the most ridiculously minded liberal I have ever known! I am voting for McCain without a doubt. It has taken me a while to get over losing Romney, but I admire McCain, and I CAN'T STAND Obama!
See, I get a little emotional.
I just love election years!!!

Jane Anne said...

Sometimes I just have to turn off the tv because I get too upset about the reporting. I know that's not really the answer, but it would be nice to be able to trust ALL news outlets to be unbiased in their reporting.

I've been watching the movie (more like mini-series)that HBO made on John Adams now out on DVD (Based on the biography by David McCullough). I'm only through the first two discs but one thing I have been struck with so far, is the ablitlity for all the differing opinions during those early meetings of the continental congress, to eventually unite and come together. During their meetings there were bitter debates about whether or not to declare independence. Some representatives wanted it and some did not. John Adams knew that, in order for complete independence from the mother country to be successfull, there would need to be unanimous support from all the colonies. Obviously they eventually achieved that support. They came together for the greater good.

I know it's good to have differing opinions on issues because that's the protection we get from the checks and balance system of our government. That's a good reason to have a Republican as president because both the house and senate majority are democratic. At the same time, I am hoping (from a person who is running for president) for that same sort of willingness to unite differing opinions and come together for the greater good.

Is that possilbe in todays world? I sure hope so.


p.s. I've loved the movie so far...

angie said...

That was funny. I've never had anybody get so crazed over no TV at the cabin and I've had guys up there on major holidays without football or basketball!! Impressive!
Love your blog. Keeli is adorable.
Angie